Right now in literature circles I'm reading Story Time by Edward Bloor. I think it's very interesting how the author exaggerates and criticises the importance of state testing. It really makes me think about how messed up the "No Child Left Behind Act" is. Some students are very smart, but are terrible at testing. Are their test results really represent how much they're learning? Especially with younger kids, they might not test well because the big thick tests scare them.
Even if the test results did represent how much students were learning, why would they cut off funds to the schools that need the most help? Why would the government give more money to schools that are doing well? Cutting the funds would cause the schools to pay their teachers less, causing them to hire less qualified teachers. It would also cause them to cut the arts. For some students, the arts are the most important part of school. Without something fun to do, they'll go insane and won't be able to concentrate! I know I would.
For schools that do get extremely good scores on the state tests, why does that mean they're good at testing. What if all they do is teach what's on the tests? I bet they don't learn anything interesting or fun. That would be a miserable school to go to. I officially hate state testing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So do you think that a Competency Based Classroom where you get to correct your tests and demonstrate competency is helpful to kids who don't test well?
Will it help them on standardized tests or not?
You are a very good test taker by the way!
Mrs C
I don't think tests are necessary for a successful classroom. If the teacher helps the students to learn the concept of things, I think the students would be much more likely to remember what they learned.
In the classroom, the teacher could randomly pick students to explain things to them, to make sure the students understood it. Some students might not like to be put on the spot, but I think they would rather do that than cram for a test.
But every philosophy of teaching is totally dependent on the attitude of the students. Even if the teacher has a positive attitude, and makes the class fun and interesting, still some students might not respond to the teaching. For these students I would take them aside during work-time and help them personally. If the whole class hated learning, then you might have to give them tests.
If the teacher was intent on giving out tests, then I think it would be much better to have to students correct their own tests. I think they would gain much more knowledge correcting their own mistakes.
Post a Comment