Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Peace Like a River

I love this book, and it makes me really makes mad that everyone keeps saying they hate it. The writing is so poetic and beautiful. The author makes you understand everything in a new way. He doesn't just lay everything out for you, and he doesn't tell you everything directly. He makes you dig deeper into what he's saying and relate it to your own life. He really makes you feel like your living the story, instead of just reading it. Unfortunately someone in my literature class blurted out what happened, but I still enjoyed the first section.

I find it really disturbing that the deputy thought that Israel Finch and Tommy Busca were just intent on mischief when they took Swede into their car and threatened her and gave her bruises. That's a bunch of bologna! If somebody did that nowadays, they would get in big trouble. That would drive me insane to know that my family and I weren't safe in our own home. It was probably only because the town thought the Land family was crazy, because the father was a good person. What a ridiculous reason not to like someone.

7 comments:

Mrs. Chambers said...

When people don't understand one another, they become fearful and fear can lead to hatred. I think we still see instances like the one portrayed in Peace today.

Maybe that is why the author wanted to write about it?

Talk to me about the title. Why is Peace like a River? Rivers can be very dangerous too.

~Mrs. C

stargirl said...

To Mrs. C~

Have you ever gone swimming in a lake or river on a perfect sunny day? There's no wind so the water is as still as glass. It seems like there's nothing going on. Everyone and everything is sleeping. Then you decide to dive down into the water. There are millions of fish swimming around! The river isn't really still and dead, fish are playing and living there life. It just seemed like glass before, because you didn't really look close enough. Lots of times we think a river is peaceful or dangerous just by glancing at it. We don't really know what's going on inside it. Many times we think the opposite, like a churning river might be very peacefule underneath it.

I think this realates to how many people view our world. They only hear about the big problems. They only care about the rivers that are swirling with waves 10 feet tall. They don't care about the miniscule details, that might affect someone's life in the most terrible way. I think it also realtes to how people view each other. If you judge a person by just looking at them, 9 out of 10 times you'll assume they're something they aren't.

The people in the Land's town assumed that the family was crazy because of stupid rumors and gossip. Most of the people didn't even get to know them. If they had, they would have known that Mr. Land was a very compassionate, loving father, who tried his best to raise his children.

Mrs. Chambers said...

Wow- I love your description!
And I appreciate how you dig into the topics with YOUR thoughts.

Keep it up!

sleepysheep893 said...

The people in their town probably don't feel they can approach the Land family because the father is so religious.Maybe they're jealous of Jeremiah's strong faith and don't think they can relate to him. If they had the courage to talk to him, they would probably really like him. That relates to some of the problems we have today with prejudice.

New Wave Science said...

I agree with you that the writing is poetic, however not everyone enjoys that type of writing. It is hard to look beyond the words and get a handle on the author's point. I agree with you too that the town never really gave the family a chance....have you ever see your peers do the same thing. How often do we judge a book by its cover?


Why did the deputy think the two boys were just intent on mischief? What was in their past that would lead him to that conclusion? What need would he satisfy by saying that?

I liked your description of the river and the life that exists just below the surface. How does that relate to the book? What kind of danger lurks just below the surface of a seemingly peaceful river?

Ms L

stargirl said...

Ms L~

Well, the description relates to the title, as well as people judging the Land family. It also relates to the way the town reacted to the murder of Basca and Finch. I understand it was Davy's fault they were killed, and he asked for it when he wrecked their car, but the town perceived the situation completely in the wrong way. They never gave Davy a chance. They thought, "It must have been all Davy's fault. Those poor little boys never did anything wrong." Basca and Finch did terrible things to the Land family, but that didn't seem to matter. The town only listened to the big problems, not the little ones, that were very important in this case.

Mrs. Chambers said...

I think there is a difference between wordly peace and the peace that Jeremiah Land has found. When we talk about peace we talk about the abscence of fighting and problems. I think Jeremiah was talking about peace for the spirit/soul. The peace that he found in Heaven. I love your explanation as well. I too love the language of this book. Sometimes, as Rueben stated, people fear change, or even things that are difficult. It's easier to say you don't like it than struggle to understand it. But with change and challenge comes growth. The more I read this book, the more I get out of it. Each time I read it, I find something new the author is saying. Mrs. G