Thursday, December 13, 2007

Extras

First of all, I can't believe there are four of these books. They're so addicting! Right now I'm in the last section of the book. I think Radical Honesty is pretty interesting. For all of you who have no clue what I'm talking about, in Extras there's a a guy named Frizz. He chose to have a brain surgery called Radical Honesty. It keeps him from lying and keeping secrets. He always has to tell the truth no matter what. Frizz said that before he had the surgery, he lied all the time, and was addicted to it.

I don't think I would want to have Radical Honesty. Sometimes it's better to keep secrets, rather than telling people everything you think. The decisions you make are what makes you, you. If you couldn't lie, then it you wouldn't really be making the decision to be honest, it would be automatic. I think everyone should have to make their own decisions, even though it would be cool to have someone tell you exactly what they think of you. But think about it ..........if you knew everything everyone thought there wouldn't be any mysteries.

5 comments:

New Wave Science said...

I agree the books are addicting. I read the first 3 in about 5 days and am struggling to get into the Extras book. Your post has spurred me to pick it up again and read it.

Why would someone choose to have that surgery? What need was it going to satisfy for Frizz? What problems can you see Radical Honesty causing? What benefits would there be?

Does Frizz still have control over himself? Who or what is really driving his car? Why would you really want to know what everyone thought....that would be so scary...

Ms L

stargirl said...

To Ms L-

I think Frizz was trying to satisfy his need for love and belonging. I bet no one trusted him or wanted to be his friend before the surgery because he was addicted to lying. He probably wanted to fit in, and thought Radical Honesty would be the easiest way.

Radical Honesty has gotten Frizz into a lot of trouble. Every time his friends think of a plan, he spoils it by telling the enemy everything. Frizz isn't really driving his car because doesn't have a choice to tell the truth. He does it automatically.

Ya, I guess it would be pretty scary to know what everyone thought, but it would be cool sometimes.

sleepysheep893 said...

I completely agree. Sometimes you have to lie to keep from hurting another person's fellings. If Frizz has to tell the truth all the time what is considered truthfulness. Is he allowed to compliment something even if it isn't complete honesty? Does it also work in a reverse affect?If he loves something can he say he likes it?

stargirl said...

No he wouldn't be able to compliment something, if he didn't really like it. He can only tell the COMPLETE truth, and sometimes blurts out whatever he's thinking.

Mrs. Chambers said...

This reminds me of that Jim Carey movie...honesty was not the best policy. Question of the week...WOW. I would like to say I would try to do somwthing. PArt of being a good citizen is pointing out when your government has made a mistake. If this would turn into a life or death situation, then I guess I would be darn sure I had someone at my back or a way to defend myself. Just like our founding fathers who took that risk to stand up to the British, we today need to let our voices be heard. Vote, educate yourself and if needed go the protest route. Change seems to move incredibly slow sometimes. MRs. G