Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Uglies

I find it funny that I've already read two books about utopias in literature, and now when I choose my own book, it's about a utopia too! The Uglies is very similar to Anthem. Both governments are trying to have equality for all by messing with the citizens' minds.

I can understand why Shay runs away to the Smoke. I would probably do the same thing. Partly to meet my freedom need, and partly because I wouldn't be able to pretend to be a pretty. I think I would go insane being the same as everyone else, and partying all day. Don't get me wrong, I love parties, but after a few days of parties, I would rather do something outside in the wild that wasn't fake. Living in the new pretty town would get boring after a while. I think Shay also ran away to meet her love and belonging need. She loved David, and wanted to go see him.

Even though Tally wants to be pretty more than anything, I think she'll change her mind and stay in Smoke with Shay. I think she'll be convinced that turning into a pretty changes you into to a completely different person, the same as everyone else.

3 comments:

Mrs. Chambers said...

"To thine own self be true." Shakespeare

I am glad you recognize how important it is to be yourself and not like everyone else. Pursuing what makes you happy and not trying to please everyone else will lead to true happiness. This is such an important lesson to learn and the sooner we learn it the easier life is. So glad you get it now. It will save you a lot of hardship later :)

~Mrs. C

New Wave Science said...

It is difficult to be a teen ager and not want to fit in. Peer pressure is tough. I agree with you that I would become really bored really fast in new pretty town. Put me on a river with my canoe or on a mountainside with my backpack and I would be really happy.

I'm about a third of the way through the book and am really interested in what Tally decides to do. I'm not convinced that she will stay in Smoke. She has such a high need for love and belonging that that may not be the answer for her. She also seems to have a really high need for freedom and fun. Will living in smoke satisfy those needs?

Ms. L

Mrs. Chambers said...

It seems to me that there isn't one person in your family (including you) who isn't unique! Your family has always been true to their own ideals and needs. That is what makes you so great! Each one of you is unique. Speaking of Shakespeare, I think you should read MErchant of Venice...It ties in with all this dialogue. Mrs. G